Wednesday, August 16, 2017

domain name system - Setup of DNS Server inside a VirtualBox



Here's my scenario: my host is a Windows XP, and I have a guest OS of Ubuntu 8.04. I'm using VirtualBox for this.



I have successfully configured my DNS server in my Ubuntu OS. And if I do the following commands, all of them will give me the corresponding IP address of my DNS server.



dig example.com
nslookup ns1.example.com
host ns1.example.com




But when I try to ping my DNS server from the host (Windows XP), it says it cannot find the DNS server. Also, if I try to ping my DNS server from another PC, it does not seem to find the DNS server as well.


Answer



Check that the virtual network adapter is configured as bridged (not NAT)


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...