Sunday, August 7, 2016

linux - I'm fed up with my system admin - suggest me some educational material so I could do his job




Im a web programmer that builds and runs websites. I got into programming when I got fed up with dealing with other programmers who took ages to fix or do anything, so I decided to take their job over.



Now I have similar feelings about my linux admin, that sets up my servers, and makes sure they work.



I want to be able to perform basic tasks such as setting up a dns, ftp, web server, mysql server, memcached, as well as several other tools that I require for my sites (ffmpeg, yamdi, some other off the shelf stuff). I want to be able to maintain these servers, do troubleshooting and basically just make sure that they are serving pages. Some general linux background would be good also, since I dont just want to memorize the "Setting up XYZ Tutorial", and not knowing what to do if I encounter something different.



My knowledge of linux is VERY basic. Can navigate between folders, edit mysql/lighttpd settings, setup cron jobs, restart services, and thats basically it.



Can anyone recommend some good (and short!) readings that will get me on the right path?



Answer



Man, there's plenty of material on this website to gather what you need as an incoming Linux admin:





I have mixed feelings about you coming into the field because you've had bad experiences with 'the other techs' not doing their jobs. I sure hope your expectations aren't too overwhelming for the regular tech folk... in any case, understanding system administration is going to help understand the work it takes to get things done. Hopefully it's just that you've had bad luck, and not that your expectations aren't unreasonable.



Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...