Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Multi-part PXE boot not honoring next-server setting

I'm trying to boot LynxOS via PXE. The vendor provides a NBP named pxe.0. I then configure and build an image called pxe.1. These are placed on the tftp server, which is not the same system as the DHCP server.




On boot, the system retrieves the correct information from the DHCP server, including the correct IP info, the correct next-server, and the correct boot file name. This has all been verified using tcpdump. There is no further DHCP traffic after this point.



The system correctly retrieves pxe.0, and then tries to get pxe.1, but fails.



I've determined that it's trying to get pxe.1 from the DHCP server, rather than the correct tftp server. I can verify this by placing the pxe.1 file on a tftp server on that system, and having to boot to completion.



My question then, is what is determining how the pxe.1 file is downloaded? Is the pxe.0 directing things at this point, and is making the poor assumption that the DHCP server is always the same as the tftp server, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...