Tuesday, January 5, 2016

router - Can I set up port forwarding to emulate not just a port but another IP address?

I am running a proprietary Windows application which functions like a server. You install the program, and then it broadcasts itself over port 13083. The program is web-based, so it's accessed entirely through the browser.





  • If I enter http://localhost:13083 in the address bar, the program loads successfully. ✓

  • If I enter http://127.0.0.1:13083 in the address bar, the program loads successfully. ✓

  • If I enter http://192.168.1.133:13083 in the address bar, the program does not load. ✗



(My computer's IP address on the LAN is 192.168.1.133.)



My theory is that this proprietary Windows application is looking at the host request and only reacting if it sees either "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". This is unfortunate, because I'd really like to access the same program from another computer on the LAN, without having to install the program twice. But since I must type out 192.168.1.133 on the second computer in order to get there, I'm wondering if there's some magic that can be done to make that request look like it's asking for something else.



My question: is there some way to configure my router so that requests from another computer on the LAN to 192.168.1.133 will make it appear like they're trying to access 127.0.0.1? Or is that pretty much impossible? I'm kind of thinking it will be impossible but still thought I'd ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...