Wednesday, February 10, 2016

domain name system - Created A record for subdomain; DNS not updating/propagating?



I am having the worst time with GoDaddy and DNS propagation. I have created an A record under my domain name in the Zone File, and pointed it at the hosting package located under my GoDaddy account. The domain name is countdownevents.com. The A record I have created is called "blog". In short, I want blog.countdownevents.com to point towards my newly purchased hosting package.



I have never had DNS propagation take more than a couple of hours to start taking effect. In this case, it's been almost 48 hours and it doesn't appear as though the change is taking place at all (see whatsmydns.net; not a single server shows the new IP address I want to be pointing to, which starts with "107").




Does anyone know why this might be? Every other A record I've created is working seamlessly, and GoDaddy keeps giving me the "Well technically it hasn't been a full 2 days..." run around O_O, and I know something is obviously wrong.



Any idea what that might be?



A Record for countdownevents.com is:



@ 600 IN A 184.168.47.225



A Record for blog.countdownevents.com is:




blog 3600 IN A 107.180.3.91



Note: Name servers (NS records) for countdownevents.com also point towards GoDaddy's dns servers.



See photo: http://mattermedia.ca/zonecap.png
A records


Answer



It seems that you have created an additional zone for your blog.countdownevents.com. since it has independent SOA and NS records:




;; QUESTION SECTION:
;blog.countdownevents.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
blog.countdownevents.com. 3600 IN SOA ns15.domaincontrol.com.
dns.jomax.net. 2015041701
28800 7200 604800 600
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
blog.countdownevents.com. 3431 IN NS ns16.domaincontrol.com.
blog.countdownevents.com. 3431 IN NS ns15.domaincontrol.com.



Therefore you should either remove the additional zone to make the record from zone countdownevents.com. to become usable or add new @ IN A record to your additional blog.countdownevents.com. zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...