Thursday, March 31, 2016

zfs - Upgrade Nexenta to Solaris Express?



I've had a NAS built on Nextenta that has worked great for a while. However, I'm looking to upgrade the NAS to run Solaris Express 11 as it's better support by my company's IT department, as well as having direct support from Oracle.



I've currently got two zpools, syspool containin the OS and 'tank' containing all the data. What would be the easiest way to run the upgrade to the latest Solaris 11 Express? Can I just run the installer and have it detect and import the existing 'tank' zpool when it first boots?


Answer



I don't think you can upgrade directly from Nexenta do Solaris 11 Express since they've different user lands.



Reinstalling with Solaris 11 Express and importing the pool should work. I don't think Nexenta has done any incompatible changes at this point.




Beware that upgrading your pool after Solaris 11 Express is installed will not allow you to go back to Nexenta (since it doesn't support newer ZFS pool versions).


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...