Wednesday, April 17, 2019

domain name system - Failover for server with dual WAN

I have one mail server, one SonicWall firewall, two Internet providers, and an internal DNS server. I have WAN failover set up on the SonicWall so in the event that the primary connection is down users will get out on the secondary connection. The mail server is accessible from outside via either ISP.



mail.mydomain.com uses the primary Internet connection, and is the primary MX record.



mail2.mydomain.com uses the secondary Internet connection, and is the secondary MX record.




Webmail, mail clients and smartphones can use either address to connect when outside the LAN (only mail.mydomain.com works internally because of the internal DNS server), but when the primary ISP is down users need to know to use mail2.mydomain.com and smartphones don't connect as they are configured for mail.mydomain.com



I'd like to automatically detect when the primary Internet connection is down so mail.mydomain.com connects over either WAN connection.



I think BGP and DNS failover are my options, and I'm wondering if a load balancer is a possible solution and how that would fit into the setup. BGP is not an option with the internet providers I have. DNS failover with dyn.com or dnsmadeeasy.com is an option, but I'm concerned that the user's ISPs won't respect the short TTL and this won't be effective for short outages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...