Saturday, April 13, 2019

windows server 2012 - How do i use storage spaces?



I am planning on building a new windows 2012 server for a client and I have no experience in doing so. I have built many linux servers for them and setting up software raid during the install is a trivial matter. I have been unable to confirm that the windows 2012 install process has an analogous process for setting up Storage Spaces during the install.




  1. Can Storage Spaces be used as an installation target (configured during setup?)

  2. Is it capable of mirror+stripe (RAID10)?




We have not ordered the hardware yet, so I'm looking for clarification.


Answer



Storage spaces is not supported on boot, system, or CSV volumes. It's all done post-installation.



You can span (sucky), mirror (smart) or parity (I think it's equivalent to R5 and R6). There is no striping.



I suggest, at the moment, avoid if you have a decent RAID controller that can do online expansion. I see that you're ordering new hardware - spend the $500 and order it with a good RAID controller - you'll save yourself a lot of hassle in the long term.




RAID in Windows has always been a bit of an unloved child. I use it for mirroring in el cheapo servers, but that's it. That said, you can add a mirror your boot drive after installing the operating system should you so choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...