Tuesday, February 24, 2015

memory - Specific board/module ECC Ram compatibility

I purchased a bunch of hardware for two different file servers. Previously I had never bought any server equipment, and therefore had not known that motherboards accept only certain types of ECC Ram. I bought 16GB of ECC RAM only to get the motherboard beeping to tell me that the RAM is not compatible. Therefore, I want to buy ECC ram that is compatible with my motherboards.



I currently have the two motherboards:





  • ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

  • ASUS M5A97 R2.0



The two motherboards say they support "DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory". Going by this, the only modules that I think are compatible, in stock, and can be found nationally are:




  • Crucial DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz ECC CL9 8GB (CT102472BD1339)

  • Crucial DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz ECC 8GB (CT102472BD160B)




These are not listed under the hardware compatibility lists that I've found, but if I understand correctly, most hardware compatibility lists are not 100% complete of every single part that would be able to be used for each board.



Will these modules work with these two motherboards? Sorry for such a newbie question. I just don't fully understand the specs of ECC Ram (unbuffered/registered etc), so I have to ask very specific question that I can't find elsewhere online to avoid being burned by buying an expensive set of RAM that isn't compatible with the boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...