Monday, August 24, 2015

Is it better to use Bitlocker or the built-in-drive-encryption that my SSD offers?

My system:



  • Intel Core i7-4790, which supports AES-NI

  • ASUS Z97-PRO mobo

  • Samsung 250GB EVO SSD (with built-in encryption option)

  • 64-bit Windows 7


If I just want to encrypt my boot drive with AES256 or similar, what would be the difference / faster performance / more secure? Flip Windows Bitlocker on and not use the SSD encryption, or enable the built-in drive encryption that the SSD offers, and don't worry about Bitlocker?


I'm thinking it might be better to offload the encryption to the SSD by using the Evo's encryption option, so that the processor doesn't have to do any encryption, this might be better for I/O performance and give the CPU a breather? Or since this CPU has AES-NI it might not matter?


I'm new to Bitlocker and this SSD encryption option, so any help is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...