Thursday, August 27, 2015

macos - How to exchange the HDD of a MacBook Pro?



I've bought an Solid State Drive (SSD) for my MacBook Pro, and now I need to exchange it somehow. Would this strategy work?




  1. Create an backup with Time Machine (Snow Leopard)

  2. Then replace the old HDD

  3. Insert the new HDD

  4. Install Snow Leopard (same version as previously used)


  5. Open up Time Machine, and recover from the last backup



I'm not sure about how to do the last part. Is that hard? What are the neccessary steps?



Or is there a better way? Maybe I don't need to re-install Snow Leopard completely? Maybe the Install CD already offers an option to recover from Backup?


Answer



I have just done the same thing. I installed the OS and when it first boots you have to go through a few setup questions - one of those questions lets you select 'Restore from a Time Machine Backup'.



Once that is complete - everything was back exactly as it was before the upgrade.



No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...