Wednesday, August 26, 2015

backup - What are reasons for "SMART Failure predicted on hard disk" error?


My laptop is shows "SMART Failure predicted on Hard Disk 0: SAMSUNG HM640JJ" error on boot with windows 7 OS.


While surfing, I get a response as my HDD is running out. So get backup files as quickly.
I did this.


May I know reasons, why this happens to my HDD?


Is it because of my usage or happens to HDD as manufacture problems?


If I replace my HDD with new HDD, how I can avoid new HDD with similar problem in future?


Is there any case SMART Analysis will be wrong?


How we can manually test with SMART in HDD and detect why test fails with full details?


Answer




May I know reasons, why this happens to my HDD?



Every device that has moving parts will eventually fail. That includes hard drives. Physical fatigue, manufacturing "faults" (might be within tolerance, but still marginal), abuse (dropped during shipping), etc., can all shorten the lifespan of devices that have moving parts.



Is it because of my usage or happens to HDD as manufacture problems?



Could be either. If you replace this one with a new one, and you see the same problem, look at your usage.



If I replace my HDD with new HDD, how I can avoid new HDD with similar problem in future?



There's no way to say unless you know specifically what the problem actually is. If it's a manufacturing defect, you might be able to avoid it by switching to a different manufacturer's drives. But you might just as easily be trading one set of problems for another. Sysadmins are known to avoid some particular models from otherwise good manufacturers.


Every purchase is a gamble. If you want better odds, do some research before you buy a replacement drive. Get the best you can afford. Monitor it for errors. Replace it before it stops working.



Is there any case SMART Analysis will be wrong?



Probably. Do you want to bet all your data on that?



How we can manually test with SMART in HDD and detect why test fails with full details?



Most drive manufacturers have software you can use to test their drives. Check Samsung's web site for tech support, and see if there's a disk utility for your drive. Be warned that the tests that give you the most details might be destructive; they might be designed to overwrite everything on your disk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...