Sunday, November 30, 2014

boot - How to make a bootable USB disk for installing Windows 7?


with my new Lenovo E145 I am stuck when it comes to installing a fresh Windows 7/ dual boot device.


The laptop has no CD/DVD drive, and had Windows 7 pre-installed. I downloaded an ISO image X17... and put this image on the USB stick. The stick boots fine, but after pressing "Install Windows" - I end up in an endless loop about missing drivers on the stick.


In the BIOS, I've tried to set the SATA driver to "compatibility" mode already, and everything else to "Legacy" - but no luck. The installation boot ends up asking about drivers.


Researching more, I found some hints on using the Windows Deployment Kit. But it is here, where it gets fuzzy for me. The process refers to making an ISO file with drivers out of the initial Windows 7 CD - which I don't have.


How can I make a bootable USB stick?


screenshot


Answer



Method 1 :


When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.


This problem happened to all new version of updated Windows 7 installer. I think, it is due to failure of Windows installer to remain its detection to the USB drive. It lost the connection, and became confused, don't know where to find the USB drive it used to read before.


When we re-insert the USB drive, Windows installer will detect the USB drive back, and continue like usual.


Method 2 :


If above solution doesn't work
then download the sata driver from here and put in same bootable usb, Press ok in screen, browse and install.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...