Monday, November 24, 2014

windows 10 - Installing OS via USB "Reboot and select proper boot device"


When I attempt to boot the newly built computer from a USB in order to install windows 10, I get the error "Reboot and select proper boot device." I think that somehow my settings in the UEFI are not correct so that it is not attempting to boot from the USB as I'd like.


Some details:


Answer



It doesn't make sense to dd a Windows ISO to a USB drive. It's simply not supposed to be bootable this way. For the PC to boot a USB drive, the drive needs to have either a MBR with proper boot code for hard disks, but not ISO9660/UDF, for BIOS/CSM, or a proper FAT-formatted ESP for UEFI.


The simplest way to make a bootable Windows installation USB for UEFI, is to format the drive with FAT32, and then mount the ISO and copy the content to it. UEFI simply looks for EFI binaries on proper location.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...