Saturday, November 22, 2014

windows 7 - Anytime Upgrade fails


I'm trying to upgrade an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional x64. The key has expired (apparently someone else used it), so we were forced to buy a new full retail edition of Windows 7 Ultimate x64.


I try to do an inplace upgrade, but Windows says I need to use Windows Anytime Upgrade.


So, I've tried this, but I get the following error:


The upgrade key you entered is for an edition of Windows that does not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.


I'm confused! How do I upgrade to Ultimate if not from a full retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate??


Answer



Turns out there's a known issue with the Anytime Upgrade process. It falsely reports there's an issue when actually it's worked perfectly... You just don't see that it's worked until you next reboot.


Retrying the key, as requested by Windows, brings up the error in the OP -- because the key has already been added, and you can't add it again.


Thanks for wasting my time, Microsoft!


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...