Friday, November 28, 2014

windows - Is it possible to safely contain a virus - not letting it spread?




I need to run a program, but I don't trust the author. I think it is infected with spyware, viruses, or malicious files. I scanned it and didn't find anything, but I'm still not feeling good about it.



So I was thinking to create another Windows user account.




  • Will viruses on one account infect the second account? Do I have to scan both user accounts?

  • And if I removed the account infected, will viruses be removed from the PC?



If that won't work then:





  • Is there any "sandbox" to do some testing and insure that you're PC
    is safe?

  • Is Virtualbox an option?



I have Windows 7.


Answer



Use Sandboxie. You can get it at sandboxie.com




Using another account will only help if you set the account as limited and the program you're trying to run doesn't request privilege escalation. Running your program in a sandbox like Sandboxie is much safer and easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

linux - How to SSH to ec2 instance in VPC private subnet via NAT server

I have created a VPC in aws with a public subnet and a private subnet. The private subnet does not have direct access to external network. S...